A Little Bit About…Balance

On paper, I have my life together. At 28 years old, I own my own flat, go to the gym twice a week, speak a foreign language, have a plethora of straight As from school back in the day, seem to be doing fairly well professionally AND just successfully used plethora in a sentence. Funny thing is though, life happens in 3D and not just on paper (or Instagram for that matter).

Do I own a nice 2 bedroom flat? Yes. But 90% of the time it genuinely looks like I’ve been robbed. And admittedly the only reason it’s decent the other 10% of the time is because my mum is coming to visit me.

Do I like to get up at 6am to go to the gym before work? Yes. But last night I had an entire packet of biscuits and a can of Coke for dinner. It’s called damage control, ok?

Can I speak Spanish? Yes. But that’s largely due to an obscene crush on Enrique Iglesias growing up, which somehow escalated into years of studying grammar and vocabulary. So much for him being my Hero.

Do I have a ridiculously squeaky clean academic record? Yes. But I can count on one hand the number of books I’ve read since the age of 18. I was such a geek up until that age that even now, the thought of reading for pleasure sends me to sleep. And just FYI, apparently Cosmopolitan magazine doesn’t make a good impression when you’re asked at a fancy dinner party or work event what your latest read was. Who knew!

Am I “going places” in work? I’d like to think so. But that doesn’t stop me feeling like a fish out of water at least 10 times a day.

Long story short, I have lots of ducks in my pond but they are most certainly not in a row. And do you know what? That’s ok! That’s what makes us human after all.

I could speak publicly in front of hundreds of people and stay relatively calm. Yet put me in front of a good looking, well dressed guy and I somehow lose the ability to even remember my own name.

I could blow 100s of pounds on a new outfit and spend hours on hair and make-up. Yet the minute I walk out the door, my tights would rip and a gust of wind would blow my hair all over my face.

I’m THAT girl. But in the end, I reckon most of us are.

Conclusion? Be a hot mess AND an absolute boss. Be a fitness freak AND have the ability to shamelessly eat an entire pizza to yourself. Be a geek AND be daft enough to have to Google how long it takes to boil an egg. Be the go-to expert in work AND forget your laptop password every Monday morning.

It’s called BALANCE!


2 thoughts on “A Little Bit About…Balance

  1. Why have I not read this sooner you might ask yourself, well Alba, because I am an absolute mess! This is hilarious! I absolutely love it, you’ve written it so well and I can 100000% relate to everything you’ve said. Looking forward to reading more from you 🙂 x Jess


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: